Laboratory Operations Team Leader
O&P UK Laboratory
The INEOS Laboratory at Grangemouth offers a diverse range of analytical techniques for a wide variety of materials. Our Lab team provide analytical services to the INEOS business at Grangemouth and to a range of global customers. We are now looking for an Operations Team Leader to join our highly experienced staff. Working as a Operations Team Leader in the labs the purpose of your role will be to;
- To manage a Laboratory Team with effective people management, providing a 24-hour analytical service to the Grangemouth Site, associated Businesses and third party Customers.
- Responsible for the coordination, planning and prioritization of the Hydrocarbon Operation Day team and Lab Shift Managers workflow to maintain and effective quality assurance process for intermediate and final product dispatch.
- Identify and prioritise team workload to ensure the most efficient delivery of an effective analytical service for final, intermediate and gas products, and support of environmental demands to ensure legislative and contractual obligations
- Implement and conduct within own area, performance-monitoring checks, calibration and instrument troubleshooting to maintain the 24 hr analytical capability
- Plan and coordinate cover and 24-hour support. Plan resources and co-operate with manufacturing/production areas to support shut downs/start-ups and special events
- Identify improvements and implement solutions to laboratory working practices and procedures to promote common approach across all Operations teams and to ensure and drive compliance with ISO 17025, 9001 and 14001
- Establish and monitor safety, housekeeping, compliance, and quality and handover standards for their area to ensure compliance with INEOS policies
- Achieve the management and resolution of operational/technical/behavioral issues affecting the efficient and safe running of the Laboratory during the shift, to provide efficient and accurate analytical service as per Customers SLA agreements
- Motivate and uphold a positive culture within their shift by leading by example, proactively supporting other members of the management team to reinforce the key Ineos 20 Principles and Group Life Saving rules.
- Prepare and deliver effective team briefings covering all aspects of team and business SHE performance; team and individual competency and behavior; adherence to site standards and procedures to ensure all team members understand their role in delivering the Lab business plan and KPIs
- Set and monitor team competency ensuring all skills required are available in the team with training and competence plans up to date to increase flexibility within Laboratory team
- Implement and delivers new methods and equipment to ensure the most updated technology to ensure Lab meets new standards and specification requirements.
- This role is viewed as being a key change agent driving a new approach to operations and delivery within the business whilst coping with a legacy of change and disruption, in the sustaining and growth phase of the business strategy.
- Member of Lab Management Team
- Act as analytical; authority for relevant methods used within the Hydrocarbon team ensuring accuracy.
- Drive and deliver Laboratory analytical investigations in accordance with Non-conforming work and route cause
- Chairs and represents Laboratory in various teams or discussions as required both internal and external.
- Collates historical data for quality reports required by INEOS businesses and third parties.
- The role will be expected to support the 24hr analytical service including TAR’s and special planned / unplanned events.
- Expected to lead and participate in Customer audits carried out in Laboratory on behalf of site and businesses.
- Performs Technician progression check out and assessments
- Participation in relevant international Proficiency Testing schemes
- Continued legal compliance in line with agreements with competent authorities e.g. HMRC
- Manage CoSHH, TBRA’S and tractions as required.
- Identified as first point of contact for Operations Team.
- Undertake laboratory tasks impartially and without bias that may arise from commercial, financial or other pressures.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- Minimum HNC, or equivalent, in chemistry or related subject with minimum of 5 years’ experience in similar role
- Skilled in a Wide range of analytical disciplines- chromatography, spectroscopy, spectrometry, elemental analysis,
- Refinery testing, physical and wet chemistry methods.
- Good understanding of commercial awareness and impact to Customers
- Maintains an active network of contacts within the site and with third parties.
- Knowledgeable in Risk, COSHH, manual handling assessment processes.
- Depth of knowledge in quality management systems such as ISO 17025, 9001 and 14001 standards.
- Detailed understanding of product knowledge and specifications
- Depth of knowledge and understanding of IT systems such as LIMS, ERIMS, ROAD, excel, word etc.
- Manage a team within a technical discipline providing active leadership through correct motivation, delegation, coaching, development and regular appraisal.
- Technical strength enables proactive and intuitive approach to problem solving together with the ability to make sensible decisions in times of conflicting demand.
- Good planning and organisational skills.
- Enthusiastic, highly motivated and prepared to work flexibly in a changing environment.
- Strong networker with excellent communication skills that support shift and day team links, as well as an ability to influence site and external contacts.
- Understands customers’ needs and can negotiate confidently with them
- Has the proven ability to work effectively in a team and the commitment to deliver in this environment
- Has a strong bias for action, with a continuous improvement outlook challenging the status quo
Interested applicants should submit their CV to be considered for this role.
Please note we can only accept applications from those who have the right to work in the UK.
Internal applicants should apply through the internal application process.