Laboratory Technician – Days
INEOS O&P UK
To provide a depth of knowledge and understanding in a particular field to enhance the technical and analytical service to the Grangemouth Site and associated businesses. Identify improvements and implement solutions to laboratory working practices and procedures. Ability to lead a team when required.
Testing and Analytical Service
- Within own area, organise and prioritise analyses to provide prompt and accurate testing of routine or non-routine samples to the required standards of quality, cost and safety. Work on set programmes with minimum supervision to agreed deadlines. Can operate independently.
- Report results through LIMS, correlate reports and ability to interpret data. Application of various IT packages to assist reporting of analytical data.
- Author of methods/operating instructions, reviewing as required.
- Ownership of equipment/calibrations/performance-monitoring checks, ensuring accurate records are documented for audit purposes. Monitor and investigate any anomalies.
- Ensure all quality and HSE records are kept to meet laboratory services needs and those of company initiatives and statutory responsibilities e.g. CoQ, Air BP, HMCE, SEPA etc.
- Coordinate unplanned and preventative maintenance on Lab and at-line equipment.
- Train and assess competence of others in application of methods/procedures as required, ensuring training records are completed.
- Using depth of knowledge and use of investigative and technical skills to enable resolution of more complex problems.
- Third party communications with customers, aware of how laboratory services fit into overall site business plan.
- Aware of cost implications and minimises waste.
- When required, assist in the development and enhancement of instruments/techniques within remit.
- Contribute effectively to the team, meeting both team and personal objectives as set.
- Where appropriate, support the site At-line facilities by carrying out routine duties as prescribed in service level agreements. Provide enhanced support in non-routine At-line activities.
- Undertake laboratory tasks impartially and without bias that may arise from commercial, financial or other pressures.
- Where appropriate, PSA will be awarded, recipients will be required to participate in carrying a pager and respond to plant call outs under the agreed guidelines. Be regarded as a key contact in support of a large range of At-line equipment and procedures with recognised, valued knowledge.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe working environment:
- Be proactive in local HSE issues; participate in Laboratory Services programmes as required. Be aware of Site Safety Standards and local area policies.
- Apply a high standard of workmanship and adopt all required safe working practices.
- Preparation of HSE documentation where required, e.g. RAP, PGI, COSHH, TBRA, PUWER, Manual Handling, Housekeeping, ASA etc.
- Preparation and updating of methods and operating instructions.
- Expertise and depth of knowledge in specific fields to provide key points of contact within the laboratory as required by local area.
- In conjunction with other Laboratory Team members ensure all Laboratory KPI’s and Team accountabilities are met.
- Ensure coordination and completion of short and long term laboratory projects for various plant activities.
- As and when required supply cover for other laboratory teams.
- Ability to lead a team or cover for DAS when required.
- Organise and coordinate training in At-line analytical procedures for process personnel.
- Significant potential for knock-on consequences on all Business Assets.
- Highly focused analytical team, each member with clearly defined individual responsibilities.
- Contact with Hazardous substances on a regular basis.
- Have the ability and competence to work autonomously especially in relation to At-line out of hours support. Provide out of hours advice and direction as a result of analytical equipment failure.
- Good communication with both the manufacturing and the laboratory teams.
- Ability to use own initiative, demonstrates good technical judgement and logical decision making.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- Typically HNC/Degree in Chemistry Related Subject
- Performance Bias
- Business Awareness
- Leading People
- Partnership and Teamwork
- Wise Decisions