Shift Laboratory Technician – 12 month contract
A truly global company, INEOS is one of the world’s largest chemical companies.
This is an exciting time to join us at our Grangemouth site, INEOS’ largest manufacturing asset which includes Scotland’s only crude oil refinery.
Having committed to significant investment over the next few years, we now require an experienced Laboratory Technician with experience of working within a similar industry to play a key role in the delivery and support of this growth in our business.
Principle Accountabilities of the role:
Testing and Analytical Service
- Within own area, organise and prioritise analyses to provide prompt and accurate analytical testing of routine or non-routine samples to the required standards of quality, cost and safety.
- Report results through LIMS, correlate reports and ability to interpret data. Application of various IT packages to assist reporting of analytical data.
- Author of methods/operating instructions, reviewing as required.
- Ownership of equipment/calibrations/performance-monitoring checks, ensuring accurate records are documented for audit purposes. Monitor and investigate any anomalies.
- Ensure all quality and HSE records are kept to meet laboratory services needs and those of company initiatives and statutory responsibilities e.g. CoQ, Air BP, HMCE, SEPA etc.
- Train and assess competence of others in application of methods/procedures as required, ensuring training records are completed.
- Using depth of knowledge and use of investigative and technical skills to enable resolution of more complex problems.
- Third party communications with customers, aware of how laboratory services fit into overall site business plan.
- Aware of cost implications and minimises waste.
- When required assist in the development and enhancement of instruments/techniques within remit.
- Contribute effectively to the team, meeting both team and personal objectives as set.
- Work on set programmes with minimum supervision to agreed deadlines. Can operate independently.
Responsible for maintaining a safe working environment:
- Be proactive in local HSE issues; participate in Laboratory Services programmes as required. Be aware of Site Safety Standards and local area policies.
- Apply a high standard of workmanship and adopt all required safe working practices.
- Preparation of HSE documentation where required, e.g. RAP, PGI, COSHH, TBRA, PUWER, Manual Handling, Housekeeping, ASA etc.
Shared Accountabilities Additional to Generic Description:
- Preparation and updating of methods and operating instructions.
- Expertise and depth of knowledge in specific fields to provide key points of contact within the laboratory as required by local area.
- In conjunction with other Laboratory Team members ensure all Laboratory KPI’s and Team accountabilities are met.
- Ensure coordination and completion of short and long term laboratory projects for various plant activities.
- As and when required supply cover for other laboratory teams.
- Organise and coordinate training in At-line analytical procedures for process personnel.
Special Characteristics of the activity – including technical competencies
- Significant potential for knock-on consequences on all Business Assets.
- Highly focused analytical team, each member with clearly defined individual responsibilities.
- Contact with Hazardous substances on a regular basis.
- Have the ability and competence to work autonomously especially in relation to At-line out of hours support. Provide out of hours advice and direction as a result of analytical equipment failure.
- Good communication with both the manufacturing and the laboratory teams.
- Ability to use own initiative, demonstrates good technical judgement and logical decision making.
Special Characteristics of the post holder – including behavioral competencies
- Typically HNC/Degree in Chemistry Related Subject
- Ability to demonstrate: Performance Bias, Business Awareness, Leading People, Partnership and Teamwork, Wise Decisions, Innovation
We are only able to consider candidates who are eligible to live and work in the UK